Discussion: GBLT in your community

This forum is for Lesbians, Gays, Bi-sexuals, Transgenders or members that are questioning their sexual orientation or gender identity. This forum is a safe haven and is open to all members, straight or otherwise, who are curious about sexuality.

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

InnocenceLost57
Veteran

Discussion: GBLT in your community

Post by InnocenceLost57 »

So. I know that everywhere is a bit different and everyone has different experiences. What is the general attitude like in your community - school, city, church, et cetera? Do you think that there are areas (more urban, east coast vs west coast, north vs south, etc) that are more accepting than others? Is there a lot of GBLT activity where you are?

For me, I grew up in southeast VA, and there was NOT a lot of GBLT activity at my school. I did the Day of Silence every year, and never did mange to get a GSA going - too much resistance from the admins. But once I got to college here in northern VA, things got a lot better!

What about you guys?
One minute there was road beneath us

The next just sky

Reach up

And let's propose a toast

To the thing that hurts you most

( /)

(O.o) Copy bunny into your signature to help

( <) him achieve world domination

/_|_
Summer08
Loyal

Re: Discussion: GBLT in your community

Post by Summer08 »

Interestingly, I went to college in an extremely rural area, and I was part of a pretty active GLBT alliance group. At my high school, we met some resistance, but I think that is because high schools are public and more cautious about stirring up the pot. *shrug* In the community where I live now, I don't see a lot of GLBT openness, but I also do not hear much hatred. I live in South Carolina and work in a rural county but live in the city, so I encounter prejudiced comments more when I am working with clients than from the general population where I live. I think in the South there is definitely less openness to GLBT individuals and diversity in general.
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

I dont think I paid enough attention in highschool, though we were out in a small town, so im pretty sure we didnt have one, we had a handfull of openly gay kids, but i dont think there was anything organized
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

There is a decent size GLBT community here, there are a few GLBT night clubs and such, but There isn't very much GLBT activity publicized in the area. Mostly because I live in a very Christian/Catholic area and even though neither faith shuns GLBT people, they aren't very, I guess you could say, "openly happy" about having us around.
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

candela
Needs Another Hobby

Post by candela »

My high school was odd the administrators actually started a PRIDE club, not the students. The club was about all kinds of diversity in the area. The funny thing is i am from a rural area where pretty much the entire student body is white middle class, there was limited diversity in general so most of the diversity came from the few gay or bi students.

In college i have found that things are very liberal and open here, same sex couples aren't afraid to be out and there is very little upset about it. Also there is a gay night club in the area, and a PRIDE club (i know odd same name) on campus here as well. The college is actually pretty great, ive never felt threatened or like i should hide my sexuality. In fact it still kinda amazes me how many students here are gay - i swear i think our college must be listed online somewhere as gay friendly so every comes here lol
</>Luck and Love to all</>

PM me if ya need anything

"It doesn't matter what other people say, or think when you see nothing in the mirror."