group name change??

Got any suggestions that you would like to get to the Administration? Post them here!
SirPostAlot
Veteran

group name change??

Post by SirPostAlot »

I never really pay attention to the group name titles (for instance "sex and relationship" or "teen issues", etc...)

but one of them (teen issues) really grabbed my attention in a negative issue...

by having it labeled teen issues it gives the connotation that it is solely a teen problem (though depression is often found more in older adults than children ~ in the same regards so is sucidal thoughts and actions)...

though this forum is a teen forum and focusing on teens it may be toward the teen approach; however, we don't distinguish it 'teen sex and teen relatioship' or 'teen lounge' ...

i don't know if you get what i am saying, but i think in order to be grammatically correct (and also to showcase that not all teens have these issues and that these issues are not just focused on teens) we should change the name...

Me 2cents..

:)

-Jeff
candela
Needs Another Hobby

Re: group name change??

Post by candela »

i disagree. I understand your point butthe idea is that these forums are common teenage problems. 80% of teens will suffer from depression, suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for teenagers, ranking even above homicides. Self harm is a newly acknowleded problem and while is crosses all social and economic boundaries. It is by far most prevalently found in teenagers. and Teens 16 to 19 were three and one-half times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape or sexual assault. (National Crime Victimization Survey. Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice, 1996.) According to the Justice Department, one in two rape victims is under age 18; one in six is under age 12. [Child Rape Victims, 1992. U.S. Department of Justice.]

Your right, these aren't purely teen issues butthey affect teens alot and they are serious. THey are also topics that aren't openly discussed. they are kept quiet and hidden, so this provides a place to admit that it is a problem or an Issue.

just my two cents.
</>Luck and Love to all</>

PM me if ya need anything

"It doesn't matter what other people say, or think when you see nothing in the mirror."
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

Well i agree that they are important and that we need them here ~ i just don't like the title of the area...

I mean everything that you said is very very true (and very very sad) i just think that in order to move toward help and the "bright light of happiness" we need to stop distinguishing "teens" from "eveyone else" in the sence of that forum...

its the only one that states "teen" and i think in a way it is misinterpreting this forum and the teenage ways, you know?

I mean if no one else feels it should be changed i am okay with it, i just don't want teens to feel like they should have those thoughts or w/e because they are "teen issues" and they are a teen and if they do have those feeligns when they are not teens (i.e. older than) that they are in the minority . . .

-Jeff
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

...admins (or other interest parties), i'm curious on your feeling on my issue at large . . .

-Jeff
Skye
Veteran

Post by Skye »

I kind of like them as is. I'm not sure the name of the category matters.
HelpingTeens.org:

I can't think of a better use of server resources...I really can't.
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

I think the name suits the category..

Sorry, i think it's just nit-picking happening.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

well i didn't intend it to be nickpicky i was just trying to push past the issue at hand (by the way it is showing is that those are "teen issues" when in regard this whole forum is for teens (or teenage at heart) and it just sees redudent...

i mean if you all don't want ot change it, its fine by me - i just think it will make the forums general areas more personable for those not feeling that they are odd for not having "teen issues" if they are teens or if they are having "teen issues" if they aren't teends...you know?

-Jeff
sunnyday666

Post by sunnyday666 »

I agree with sirpostalot, while yes this whole forum is aimed at teens, Teen Issues isn't a very apt title. The reason for this is only because this whole site is aimed at Teen Issues. While i can't think of anything more fitting for this section except at the top of my head, and this is gonna sound really really cheesy, something like "For When You're Hurting" might be better than the generic term of "Teen Issues". Ok that was cheesy but i'm leaving it.

- Tina
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

Heh - Teen issues isa BROAD statement and while yes I would agree that it should be used to cover everything on the site, there's generally no point in changing it because of the specific catagories underneith it. It's just bringing it more spefically on teens for which this site is intended for.

I'm drunk so if that didn't make sence...give me a couple hours and I'll clarify.
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

what do you guys suggest then for a new name?
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

hmm i am really good at finding faults but really bad about namings...

hmm, since the preceeding group is soul could we do something like "mentality" since they seem to be more mental issues - depression, cutting, suicide, hmmm...

-Jeff
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Hmm. My current ideas:

'Mind and Soul' (but might be confused with the soul category). 'Issues of the Mind', 'Emotional and Mental Health' (both sound a little clinical). 'Emotional Health' (sounds better).

Personally, out of the above, I would go with 'Emotional Health'.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

I give my kudos to emotional health :) i knew i could count on you, lena! :)

-Jeff
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Haha. Well at least there are two of us who like it.

Anyone else?
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

Keep trying guys....

Emotional Health would seem to have to include other forums than the ones under teen issues. Perhaps we could change it to "Youth Issues" if you like that better than "Teen Issues"... maybe we could just make it "Issues" or something like "Generation Y"

just throwing those out there

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

Why would Emotional Health seem to have to include other forums?

Youth Issues poses the same problem as Teen Issues.

I'll get back with other possibles later.
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

I was thinking that grieving would need to be included under "emotional Health"

I'm not objecting to that title, I was just saying what was going through my head. Its prolly the best option offered so far

-FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

No no, I was just wondering, thats all.

Sorry if I came off a bit sharp. (I just re-read my reply). Wasn't my intention. :huh:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I think the original poster is over analyzing the name a bit. From a member's standpoint, teen issues seem to make sense.
Administrator: GovClass.com

SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

one thing you'll realize about me is i tend to "over-analyize" a lot - but 'teen issues' still troubles me, haha . . .

hmm...

well grieiving would probably have to moved to "emotional health" but that would be the only one, right? and i think it could fit in there with the other forums . . .

-Jeff