Discussion: Should parents have right to name child single letter first names?

All the news thats fit to print! Please bring all debates here, but make sure to keep things civil!

Moderator: The Lounge Moderators

CanadaCraig
Veteran

Discussion: Should parents have right to name child single letter first names?

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Everyone!! :)

I hope you're having a super duper day.

A couple in Sweden are fighting - in court - for the right to name their son 'Q'. The first judge ruled against them saying that it was inappropriate.

What do YOU think?!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=811766

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
Cindy
Veteran

Re: Discussion: Should parents have right to name child single letter first names?

Post by Cindy »

Q? Must be Star Trek fans.

I think parents need to remember how cruel kids can be when they name a child. Naming them an odd name is just asking for the kid to stand out and be teased. I personally see nothing wrong with Q. Odd, but ok. We here in America have kids name Hitler (which I do find wrong), Apple, Audio Science, Fifi Trixibell, Moon Unit, Moxie CrimeFighter, ect... I think Q is the least of our worries.
<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 -->The Support Group Rules Read them, live by them, and worship them

<strong class='bbc'>"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie[/b]
FranklinF
Veteran

Re: Discussion: Should parents have right to name child single letter first names?

Post by FranklinF »

hmm i dont see anything wrong with Q, i mean there are alot of people that go by two letters, like J.R. or D.J. so whats the issue with just one letter?
Wheretogo
Veteran

Post by Wheretogo »

there is nothing wrong with q

GO STAR TREK
Why give up, why give in?

It's not enough, it never is.

So I will go on until
the end.

We've become desolate.

It's not enough, it never
is.

But I will go on until the end.

I've lost my way.

I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end.

Living is
hard enough

Without you fucking up.

Until The End - Breaking Benjamin
OverDrive
Veteran

Post by OverDrive »

OK, can I name my kid

??

or what about X?

I think that a 1 letter name isn't good (even though I'm a big Star Trek fan). Maybe as a nickname, but not as a real name.
Adam Marshall

HelpingTeens.org Owner

Image Articles Image Resources Image Live Chat Image Support Groups and much more!

I can't think of a better use of server resources... I really can't.
nirvana
Loyal

Post by nirvana »

Weird.. I always associated Q with James bond :p

However, they should be able to name their kid whatever they want, even if it is a little weird.
Next time you think you're perfect. Try walking on water
Seirei
Hooked On HelpingTeens

Post by Seirei »

I think it's alright, a bit weird though. Might be strange for the child having a name like that, and he could run through the probability of getting made fun of.

If I named my name a single letter name though I'd go with "L"
CausticTears
Veteran

Post by CausticTears »

I guess they can just spell out the letter... "Kue" It's like the name, Jay... that's pronounced, "J" but spelled out. I think you should be able to name your kid what ever you want. Hey, if they really dislike their name... wait til they get older and can change it themselves.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges