Grandfather's memorial

Have you experienced the pain of losing someone close to you? Do you grieve over the death of someone you knew? Here is a safe place to seek support.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

CausticTears
Veteran

Grandfather's memorial

Post by CausticTears »

My grandfather's memorial was this weekend. My family had a little gathering party in remembrance of him and all... but, I didn't attend. Honestly, he was a part of my childhood I do not feel proudly about so I didn't want to go. I drank with some friends and did not go. I had a better time where I was. Yet, I can't help but feel a bit guilty.
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

-Leo Buscaglia

[HT Chat Room ][ HT Articles ]

Get your badges
Kit
Veteran

Re: Grandfather's memorial

Post by Kit »

Funerals are all about saying goodbye and remembering the person for who they were. Maybe his Memorial wasnt right for you. Maybe whats best for you is to go back later and say your goodbyes in your own way.
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
FiZzBaW
Veteran

Post by FiZzBaW »

Friend,

I'm sure you made the right decision for you.

I don't enjoy attending funerals. I honestly still find them kinda creepy and awkward. I think a person's life should be celebrated, which is what people say a funeral is for... but to me funerals seem like an awkward mess of either unemotional or over emotional people putting on some sort of performance....

I think it is important for one to get closure after the death of a loved one, but that closure doesn't necessarily come from a funeral. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you let yourself have closure in your own way.

Hope this helps

FiZz
Click to Email Me

AIM: fizzbaw05

Visit our Live Chat or use IRC: irc.helpingteens.org

----

"I helped save Jericho!" Facebook Group

CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi CausticTears!! :)

I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather died - but I'm even sorrier to hear that your relationship with him was not as it should have been. Whether or not a person chooses to attend a funeral or memorial service is completely up to them. None of us are obligated to do so. I appreciate why you're feeling a little guilty - but that's OK. I felt the same way about a funeral that I chose not to go to. It was for someone who was - at one time in my life - a very close friend of mine. But we had a not-so-nice 'falling out' a few years before he died [He betrayed my trust, etc.] and I just thought it would be hypocritical of me to show up at his funeral. Truth be told - I was still hurt by what he did. Besides - HE wasn't actually AT his funeral - so what's the point. Still... the guilt feelings still [Even to this day] linger. Such is life - right?

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)