Birth Control Topic

Got questions about sex, relationships, or something related? Ask them here!

Moderator: Sex & Relationships Moderators

FranklinF
Veteran

Birth Control Topic

Post by FranklinF »

did you get on birth control before you started having sex, or do you plan on getting on it before (guys is your gf on it)? what forms of birthcontrol have you tried? which has worked best for you and your lifestyle? (This topic is not directed just toward females MEN have birthcontrol options too!! and what sort of birth control would you like your girlfriend to be on) Is birth control soley a one person job, or do you and your partner decide which form or forms to use?

ill go first, yeah i was bad, i didnt get on birthcontrol before i started having sex i wasnt really expecting to have sex, i went and got it pretty soon after. i got on the pill and for me it wasnt great, ive never been good at remembering then i lost my job and couldnt afford them, the first month i was off i got pregnant (i guess that makes me a fertile mertle in my family)

after i had my son, i got an IUD (intrauterine device) the copper one its nice and i love it no remembering just checking to make sure its still up there occasionally, the only problem i see with them is drs dont often like giving them to people who havent had kids, (one has told my little sister her uterus is to small and to come back in 6 months to have it remeasured)

its about the size of a penny but i guess it wont fit sometimes, any how yeah
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
madetoheal

Re: Birth Control Topic

Post by madetoheal »

Birth control always has such a negative connotation. I feel that if you let someone know you're on birth control, they automatically assume that you are having sex, whether unprotected or not.

I went on Seasonique about a year ago for medical reasons instead of just havin' sex. I wasn't even having sex before (or, uh, now) I started the pill :) Anyway, I suffer from a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome and my OBGYN decided that it was best for me to be put on the pill and gave me options. Of course, I decided that it would be awesome to only have my period four times out the year, so Seasonique was my winner :D

I absolutely love my birth control. I agree that sometimes it is easy to forget taking the pill and I have often found myself questioning if I took it or not in the morning, but it is truly worth it. Knowing when you're going to have your period and knowing that it will only be a quick, light thing is superb!

I think the only downfall that I had with this prescription is with my face. I broke out a little bit when I first started and even though the pimple faded away, it would leave a mark there for quite sometime. I went to the dermatologist and he gave me a facial medication to get rid of the redness and bam! I was feelin' good.

The birth control gives me a sense of ease in that I am not creating cysts on my ovaries, I am less likely to get cancer, and, of course, I can have sex without worrying :)

Also, the difference between Seasonique and Seasonelle is that Seasonique constantly gives you a flow of hormones. Seasonelle gives you placebos during your period week. Another reason why its just perfect for me :)

I hope this kinda, sorta helped anyone who is looking into birth control. It is awesome, but be responsible with it. My healthcare covers it because I use it for medical reasons. It only costs $20 for 3 months. Without my healthcare, it would be somewhere along the lines of $180 for 3 months. Bloody ridiculous :D
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

wow your healthcare wont cover it if you use it solely for birth control?

They edit your thinking.

[/center]
madetoheal

Post by madetoheal »

Eh, they probably would! Haha! I have no idea :) I'm under my mother's healthcare, so I'm not sure what their requirements are regarding BC. :)
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

usually they cover most stuff, sometimes they require generics, its always good to know your perscription plan, i know being on your mothers it doesnt count much now but when you get your own (and i am talking to everyone here) know the ins and outs of your insurance!

They edit your thinking.

[/center]
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

Hmmm. I have the Maraina(sp)(the 5 year IUD) and it's great. My son is 6 months old and so I've had this BC for 5 months and it's already taken away my period till I have it removed. As for why I got it... I do NOT want to go through child labor(esp. since I might not make it to the DL this time) AGAIN! Plus my period is annoying. lol. And.... I didn't have a choice in my BC... Ethan's delivery doctor told me and Matthew what I was going to get. My Dr. knows me tooooooo well. Other wise I think it should be a combined decision. BC has a wide range of social contavery in it - man lead to believe woman is on BC and yet she's not; man or woman wanting baby yet the other does not, health problems, so on and so forth. it just depends on each relationship.
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
HealingAngel

Post by HealingAngel »

I plan to get on the pill before I lose my virginity. Partially to regulate my period, partly to help lessen my heavy flow, but mostly just to be very safe so I'm not freaking out about it during a moment which should be lovely and memorable. I don't think it's just my responsibility though. My boyfriend is going to use a condom as well and he's going to provide that himself. But I think that both partners need to do their part and share the responsibility when it comes to birth control.