Cathlioc/pagan Wedding

This forum is a place where you can feel free to express your beliefs without fear of being judged or discriminated against.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

Dobby
Loyal

Cathlioc/pagan Wedding

Post by Dobby »

Ok, making a long story short, my fiance' and I have been talking about how we wish to get married. We know this much, we want outdoors, simple wedding, few people, but the ceremony it's is a completely different story. Seeing as she is a Pagan and I am a Cathlioc, well it creates some difficulties. We are both willing to go non-denom, but I was thinking it would be nice to somehow coordinate both our religions into the ceremony somehow. My friend brought up the idea that we get ahold of a priest from the cathlioc church and a high priestess from her faith and basically ask them to perform it jointly, but everyone else I've talked to said this is almost impossible because cathlioc priests are too hard nosed. Any truth to this, or have you heard of any weddings like this with a cathlioc and another faith?
99.9% of putts left short never go in, and that applies to everything in life.[/b]
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Re: Cathlioc/pagan Wedding

Post by Jaegermeister »

Well, that all depends on the rapport you have between you and your priest. I think that in general you wouldn't find many priests to do this, but if there's a priest you are especially close to he could well do it out of respect for you.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
5a5
Veteran

Post by 5a5 »

i think u should try doing that, yea most priests wont do it probably, but i think if u look u'll find one that'll be more open
Now you'll find with everything you lose

Your path clears with everything you choose

Is there someway I can show you

The best is yet to come
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

i personally think its a good idea, you just have to look hard and be good persuaders

when my aunt got married (she is catholic, he is jewish) they had both a catholic priest and a rabbi there and they did the wedding together, and it was great...

so i think that if you just sit them down and explain where you are coming from, they may do it

~Jeff~
Dobby
Loyal

Post by Dobby »

I guess my other question, and this is for the die-hard catholics out there, is what are the stipulations of an mixed faith wedding. How is it supposed to be done? Somehow I have a feeling I'm not going to like this though. However, plz tell me.
99.9% of putts left short never go in, and that applies to everything in life.[/b]
turtbub
Veteran

Post by turtbub »

You should really ask your priest about the specific details. I think probably it's different (at least a little) for every faith combination and every priest.

I hope this works out for you.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Confucius

Romans 5:8 "God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." Mother Theresa

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Churchill

There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

you should go through it, if you want to . . .

basically its like your usual wedding, except they will like merge the various faithes rituals...

like at my aunt and uncles, they still did the two candels into one (which is the catholic thing) and then they did some more speaking and then they broke the glass . . .

you'll have to sit down with the priest and the pagean leader and figure out which rituals they want to put into it and which they can bipass b/c the other religions rituals covers it, you know?

~Jeff~
Tree Fingers
Loyal

Post by Tree Fingers »

what do you mean, pagan? Like, Roman Mythology? Non-Christian?
Dobby
Loyal

Post by Dobby »

If I said Wicca woud that help explain it any better?
Rob
Needs Another Hobby

Post by Rob »

Wicca is an actual religion? I thought it was just something little insecure 16 year olds practice when they feel sad and abandoned ^^'

Anyway.. does this pagan religion have an actual society then? Like christianity, judaism and the islam? Do they have priests and the like? I thought wicca was about worshipping mother earth. Never knew they had religious leaders/guides.
Jaegermeister
Veteran

Post by Jaegermeister »

I thought it was just something little insecure 16 year olds practice when they feel sad and abandoned

[/b]
"Nowadays, any girl with a spice rack and a henna tatoo thinks she's a sister of the dark arts." Oh, how deliciously jaded you sound. I'm right along with you though.

Anywho, seriously, I think that nowadays "Wicca" is sort of appllied as a blanket term to any sort of neo-pagan goddess centered religious practices. As there is no central authority and no universal sacred texts, each group of followers is kind of on its own, but I do believe they are a legally recognized religion Stateside, and that priests/priestesses of the religion can perform nuptials and the like, as would a Catholic priest.
"What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" --OSB

"Be who you are and be that well" --St Francis de Sales.

Suaviter et fortiter

Bunches of love Xena.
hategirl
Loyal

Post by hategirl »

Wicca is an actual religion? I thought it was just something little insecure 16 year olds practice when they feel sad and abandoned ^^'

Anyway.. does this pagan religion have an actual society then? Like christianity, judaism and the islam? Do they have priests and the like? I thought wicca was about worshipping mother earth. Never knew they had religious leaders/guides.

[/b]

Wicca -or Paganism- is just as seriously religion as christianity or judaism. it is a faith that most often is centered twards the Mother goddess as the focal point, with her lover as the chosen god. it ties in with greek and roman "mythology" quite often, but is seperate for one reason or another. some wiccan clans dont even ignoledge marrige. they have a special ceremony to bind the souls of each participant for life and death, and to them it out weighs marrige by a jillion.

i have no idea about the troubles of finding an priest to do the ceremony, but you might be just as hard pressed to find a Priestess. unfortunatly alot of Wicca groups and organizations have receded from catholosism and christianity over the years because of the ridicule and abuse they have suffered. however, i dont know if it is so with your future wife's particular clan.

i wish you he best of luck in your task and hope that you find what you seek. :clover:
I think people hold on to memories because they are the only things that remain the same when everyone

and everything else is changing.

"Any man can love a woman, but when a woman can truly love a man through all his faults then you want to keep her forever."

MY LJ

MY MYSPACE
MattMan
Veteran

Post by MattMan »

There is a religion that calls its members wiccans.