Discussion: When It Rains It Pours.

How can this be happening? Why is it always me? Do you ever ask yourself these questions or do you simply want to vent? Do it all here, we'll try to help.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

FranklinF
Veteran

Discussion: When It Rains It Pours.

Post by FranklinF »

So yes, the title to this one is quite cliche, but it seems to happen to everyone. When one thing happens so does other things. Thats the way life is. I have several questions. Are all the things happening in your life seriously that bad, or does the one big bad event amplify other problems that you would normally be able to deal with?

Also, how do you (personally) find the best way is to pull yourself out of the cycle?
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
candela
Needs Another Hobby

Re: Discussion: When It Rains It Pours.

Post by candela »

i think that sometimes several seriously bad things can happen all around the same time. For example my maternal grandfather passed away shortly after christmas and less than a month later my paternal grandmother died as well. I was also involved in a semiserious car accident in the same month, and then broke my toe. SO i would have to say that yes sometimes when it rains it pours. That was a seriously bad month and thats not including some other things that happened.

Other times however i do think that one huge bad thing can amplify littler events, for example when i recently bombed a huge test and then tripped and fell on my face. I was determined that i had horrible luck and that it was just a bad day. Tripping wasnt a big deal but failing my exam had already soiled my mood and made me irritable which exacerbated my response to the humility of falling in front of my peers.

Ususally when im having bad luck i go to extremes i either call a friend and hang out and try to socialize to take my mind off the bad stuff or go mad with work and just keep going until im too exhausted to think/function, or i crawl into bed for the rest of the day and sleep it off. I try to start everyday fresh and live in the present.
</>Luck and Love to all</>

PM me if ya need anything

"It doesn't matter what other people say, or think when you see nothing in the mirror."
Summer08
Loyal

Post by Summer08 »

When bad things do happen all at once, it is of course overwhelming, but I do think that they can amplify each other's effects. Stressors compound one another also, and any kind of stress/life change can affect your mood. This is why major life changes are so overwhelming and most of us need support to cope with them. For instance, losing a loved one not only hurts because you loved them, but you also may lose a key support person in your life and feel you now have free time to miss them when normally you would be spending that time with them. This is time when you have to rely more on other key people in your life and find other ways to occupy your time to try to allow your grief to happen naturally and run a healthy course. Stress and feeling angry, sad, lonely, grieving etc. are all natural, but when these things run your life, you are missing the key ability to cope. The more that is poured on you at one time, the harder it is to utilize the skills you have to cope with life's difficulties.

With all that said (rambled?), when I feel like is too much, I try to remind myself that whatever is happening is not so bad. I try to take it apart one piece at a time and figure out how I normally would deal with that ONE bad thing, then apply it to the problems individually....or I cry into my blanket and go to bed early, waking up to deal with it on another day ;).
FranklinF
Veteran

Post by FranklinF »

OOOh thats a good point Dont deal with a problem if you are tired (very often the problems can drain you physically and emotionally) if you are tired, chances are you wont make propper desicions, if the problem is a deal with now sort of thing, and you feel overwhelmed ask someone you TRUST for help,
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
Kit
Veteran

Post by Kit »

That one is a little complicated. When it rains it POURS. Some times it's big problems sometimes it little ones that just build up. I go and run in the sand dunes till I'm too tired to move!!!! or read, or blast music or just watch my son sleep or playing on the floor.
Email me If you ever need someone to talk to and I'm not online, drop me an E-mail. I'll get it on my phone!

Myspace Want to know more about me? Here's my myspace. You can see pictures of my family, and keep up with my life here.

I LOVE my Son Ethan who is 10 months old and my wonderful husband who is signing up for the Army!
nirvana
Loyal

Post by nirvana »

I find bad things come in runs with me. It's one thing after another, generally seperate issues, as in not related. Each on their own, I could cope with, but altogether, it's hard work.

I don't see mine as a cycle, and I keep going, and get through each problem one step at a time. No point crying over spilt milk, and even when the truck crashed on the motor way, life's gotta go on, so you get through things.
Next time you think you're perfect. Try walking on water