College (enough Said)

How can this be happening? Why is it always me? Do you ever ask yourself these questions or do you simply want to vent? Do it all here, we'll try to help.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

SirPostAlot
Veteran

College (enough Said)

Post by SirPostAlot »

ok i have been looking forward to this day for years and now that i t is here i am scared to death...

i am on campus right now and like as i walk around no one talks to me and no one says anything - which means basically they aren't interestd in what i have to offer (friendship wise) and i mean i have met a couple of people who are really cool and everything but i tried calling them and they didn't answer . . .

hmm....

i don't know i am scared and i feel like shit right now b/c iuts soo not what i thought college life would be like

~Jeff~
PurplePoemPuppet
Veteran

Re: College (enough Said)

Post by PurplePoemPuppet »

Oh sweetie. College is a different experience for everyone. In my case, it took at least half a year before I finally had people to say hi to walking through campus. But right is the BEST time to get to know people. Everyone is new, they're all getting back to school, and everyone wants to meet people. It's gotta be one of the hardest things to do but to muster up enough courage to just say "hey, anyone wanna go to the dining hall and get something to eat?" or anything that you can think of to strike up conversation, but once you do, you start to get to know more people. It's nerve racking at first, but you'll get settled soon enough. It's a big change for EVERYONE. You'll be okay! :)
Email: SMyers017@gmail.com

AIM: PurplePoemPuppet
Wheretogo
Veteran

Post by Wheretogo »

Hey, its like that for everyone. Making friends is something that sorta just happens. Dont worry, it will happen.
Why give up, why give in?

It's not enough, it never is.

So I will go on until
the end.

We've become desolate.

It's not enough, it never
is.

But I will go on until the end.

I've lost my way.

I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end.

Living is
hard enough

Without you fucking up.

Until The End - Breaking Benjamin
hockeygirl1427
Loyal

Post by hockeygirl1427 »

I guarantee people are feeling the same way as you. Everyone is new and a little shy. Take the first step and introduce yourself. If you are in a dorm that is the perfect place to meet people. Try getting involved in clubs. Good luck-I am sure you will find friends.
"If you live to be one hundred, I want to live a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." ~Winnie the pooh

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.

Don't walk behead me, I may not lead.

Walk beside me and be my friend." ~Albert Camus

I've learned.....

Life is tough, but I am tougher!
Michie
Veteran

Post by Michie »

Don't worry too much. It's not common that a random person walking around the main campus will actually stop and say something to you. Most of them are too busy thinking about their next class or where they're heading for lunch.

The best places to start conversations and make friends are in your class or in your dormitory building (do you live in a dorm? I hope so...it's so much easier to meet people), or if you attend a social for a club, or join a committee that interests you. Once you start making acquaintences with people, I guarentee you that it'll get easier.

An easy way to make an acquaintance with someone, for an example, is if you go to the common room in your dorms (where the tv is). Especially if you have favourite shows. Even go to another floor's common room and see who's there and what they're watching. Every Tuesday at 9, I had to go to the 3rd floor of my dorms (I was on floor 11) because my floor was watching HOUSE, and I wanted to watch SCRUBS.

If you live in a dorm, did your floor ever have a meeting where you 'met' your floormates? Eventually, some of your floormates become your friends. Also, if you feel alone at any time and want someone to talk to, you can go to your resident don (or your floor resident advisor...), who is an upper year student selected to help you ease into college life. He/she is paid to listen to you and help you.

The first few weeks of college is tough, especially when you don't know anybody. Just remember, you are not alone in this. There are hundreds of other first-year students who are feeling the exact same way that you are.

College is especially hard the first year...don't fret. :D I'd give you a virtual hug, but I'm not familiar with the smilie.

Keep us updated!
My tears will be hidden behind this fake grin

You can see me through these metal bars-I won't let you in

It's my life and I screwed it-You're not to blame

And though I keep on trying, it's so hard to change.

-Steph

My email- [email=""]steph_w_3000@hotmail.com[/email]

Email me if you wanna talk!
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

thx all - i tried to talk to people (though it was weird b/c the three people i talked to ended up being friends w/ the two people i was friends with initially, haha)

but i found my "posse" which is neat b/c they remind me of my friends back home....

hmm, classes start tommorw - so hopefully i can talk to them in class and just make friends that way, you know? hmm...

:hug: ( i believe that is the virtual hug smile - : hug : )

~Jeff~
Memphis38128
Loyal

Post by Memphis38128 »

Gosh, don't make me nervous for college lol.
SirPostAlot
Veteran

Post by SirPostAlot »

haha its getting better socially, though hw wise its just beginning

today i had acct. and he gave us ch. 1 and 2 due friday (100 pages of reading, and like 20 questions)

its not bad b/c there are graphs and shit and it is EXTREMELY easy reading (i took acct. I and II in hs) but yeah its a pain to read it and internally knowing i cannot get 1cent for the damn 100$ i dished out for the book

~Jeff~
Michie
Veteran

Post by Michie »

Hi Jeff! [virtual hug]. LOL.

I'm glad college is doing well for you, and that you took the risks to get out socially. I'm so happy you found your 'posse.' LOL. The second I found people who reminded me of my home friends, I was so attached last year. It's so nice to find people you click with.

Have fun with HW!! Hahaha.

My college (Canadian though) starts on Tuesday. Nursing...my biggest freak out, amongst the "Will I make it through the first semester unlike last year?," the "Will I have a good social life?", and "Will I study well and do well?",

is "How in the world am I going to memorize every piece of anatomy of the body in a year (or two)? I'm screwed!
My tears will be hidden behind this fake grin

You can see me through these metal bars-I won't let you in

It's my life and I screwed it-You're not to blame

And though I keep on trying, it's so hard to change.

-Steph

My email- [email=""]steph_w_3000@hotmail.com[/email]

Email me if you wanna talk!