Why Won't They Let Me Be Myself?

How can this be happening? Why is it always me? Do you ever ask yourself these questions or do you simply want to vent? Do it all here, we'll try to help.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

ilovedyoufirst
Loyal

Why Won't They Let Me Be Myself?

Post by ilovedyoufirst » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:01 pm

For a long time, I was the shyest girl you'd meet. I was always afraid of saying something stupid or embarrassing, so I just wouldn't say much of anything at all. When I got to college, things changed. I'm still kind of shy but way more outgoing than before. Sounds good, right?

Well it would be, except that in a way, I'm being criticized for being the person I've finally allowed to see the outside world.

For years now, I've had a livejournal. It's always been my outlet. I didn't make all of the entries friends-only or private, because friends from home who don't have journals wanted to read it. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.

My best college friend told me that people have been talking about me. Apparently, a girl who I've never even met read my journal (we're both in a community for people at my college) and thinks I'm "crazy". She's been spreading it around, and other people who've never met me most likely believe what she says. There's not too much in that journal to make me sound crazy, except that I take medication for a panic disorder (and so what? I recognized my problem and dealt with it) and I kept talking about the guy I have a crush on. Is that so crazy?

Last night, a friend of mine who is in the same sorority as the girl who was talking about me, asked if I was going to rush next year. She asked because of all these rumors. I told her I was most likely, and the look on her face was not promising...at all. I was looking forward to it so much, but now I feel like I would be ousted. I've met a lot of girls in this sorority who are so nice, but I feel like this one girl is going to corrupt them into thinking there's something wrong with me.

Do you think I should still rush, or are all the sororities going to talk and not accept me?

sdrawkcaBgnioG
Loyal

Re: Why Won't They Let Me Be Myself?

Post by sdrawkcaBgnioG » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:02 pm

AGH.... Reputations should die!!!

Here's what I say: FORGET ABOUT IT.

If they think your crazy- let them. If they are seriously dumb enough to believe gossip then their opinions are not worth changing.

If anything, it's a good thing. Now you can easily figure out who is worth making friends with and who isn't.

If they beleive the rumors, then they suck and need to not worry about other people's buisness.

If they don't believe the rumors, then you've found a cool person who makes opinions for themself and not by what other people say.

Nikki
Veteran

Post by Nikki » Mon May 01, 2006 9:19 am

Hey, wherever you are, whoever you meet, whatever group you're a part of - there are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be people jealous of you / not liking you / saying stuff behind your back. Usually those are people that have no life - they have nothing to do / talk about, so they talk about the others, discuss and judge their life. Maybe that girl used to be popular in her school, and she wants the same here. And now she feels that you're getting more popular than her (or have more friends than she does) so she's trying to turn everyone agains you, so she'll take your place.

Most of the time it's ok to ignore it (as in, you can live with it). But if it's getting really annoying, and you can't take it anymore, you should confront that girl. Talk to her face-to-face. Or even better, make her look lower in front of her friends. I mean, she's the one who read your journel, and she's the one having a problem with you - it's her damn problem! She really needs to get a life. Why in the world would she care about reading your journal and talking about it to everyone she knows? - Coz she has no life of her own! Just say it all to her, make her look stupid in front of everyone, and she'll shut up forever (I've ahd the same situation, with a guy talking shit about me - well, I did what I told you to do, and it worked). The only thing you shouldn't forget - is that you're more mature than her, so don't ever get upset by what she says about you - she's just a kid that need to grow up a little.
God kicked in the head so I started a fight, coz I knew I was right! But I learned I was wrong...

ilovedyoufirst
Loyal

Post by ilovedyoufirst » Mon May 01, 2006 12:04 pm

Yeah, I'd really love to confront her, but the thing is that I've never actually met her before. I don't know, then, how I could do it. I'd love to find a way, though :)

Nikki
Veteran

Post by Nikki » Mon May 01, 2006 12:07 pm

ask people who heard the rumours, from who they heard it. In the end you'll find her. ;)
God kicked in the head so I started a fight, coz I knew I was right! But I learned I was wrong...

sbloemeke
Veteran

Post by sbloemeke » Wed May 03, 2006 3:32 pm

I would first quiet the rumors by letting these people know that you are not crazy. Post it in the livejournal, maybe. Then, ignore it. Let it go away. By doing such, you would take away all the fun that comes from them asking you about it, and you can be yourself again. Let it flush by you. It will disappear VERY quickly.