It's 'funny' Being Fat

How can this be happening? Why is it always me? Do you ever ask yourself these questions or do you simply want to vent? Do it all here, we'll try to help.

Moderator: Soul Moderators

CanadaCraig
Veteran

It's 'funny' Being Fat

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Everyone!! :)

I hope you're OK.

It's 'funny' being FAT.

Oh I don't mean 'funny' as in 'Haha' funny - but 'funny' as in 'weird' or 'unusual' or 'odd' or something like that.

All last year - I worked very hard at losing my excess weight. I was relatively successful. I lost probably 80% of what I wanted to lose but then my body just stopped losing. It went on like this for weeks. I finally gave up. Now here I am - almost back to where I started from.

But you know something? I'm not sure I like being thinner. Oh sure - less FAT would be nice - but not thinner. [if you know what I mean] I feel - oddly enough ['funny' enough?] - more insecure the less I weigh. It's as though my body fat is like my suit of armour. The less armour I'm wearing - the more vulnerable I feel. Being BIG makes me feel more powerful. The heavier I am - more more weight I have to 'throw around'. LITERALLY.

The trouble is - when I was a kid - I came to believe that ONLY short, in-shape [or skinny] guys could be considered cute or good-looking. But more importantly - ONLY short, in-shape [or skinny] guys were LOVABLE. A BIG GUY like ME could NOT be loved. That is what my childhood taught me. When I was in school - I was bullied because of my size. I was the heaviest AND the tallest kid. In fact - I was heavier and taller than most of the teachers. [by the time I was in grade 5] Because of the bullying - I have always hated being BIG. [in spite of being told a few times how 'lucky' I was to BE big] The guys who seemed to be popular and [more importantly] ACCEPTED BY OTHERS - were the shorter, skinnier guys. I always believed that IF I could wake up tomorrow a short and skinny guy - THEN I would be loved. It's all silly - perhaps - but that's what I have always believed. Because of that - I have always resisted doing any weight training. [because weight training would just make me BIGGER] It's also [probably] why I always refuse to lose those last few pounds. What if I find out I'm wrong? What if I find out that I'm NOT lovable just because of who I AM and NOT because I'm BIG.

Another 'concern' that I have with getting into shape [once and for all] is the fact that all of my life I have had a mental 'list' of the things I would DO - IF I was in shape. That 'list' is BIG and that 'list' is SCARY. If I got into shape - I'd lose my excuse to do NOTHING. I would lose my excuse to avoid LIFE. I don't date anyone because of how I feel about my body. I don't go to parties. I don't accept invitations. I don't even have friends. [but there's more to not having friends than just my body size - but how I feel about my body has a LOT to do with it] It's also scary to be complimented about my looks - and the more weight I lose - the more compliments I get. Suddenly I become 'attractive' to other people. THAT can be terrifying.

Somehow - I am going to have to accept ME the way I AM. I am going to have to learn to accept that it is OK to BE BIG. And I'm going to have to become willing to replace my excess FAT [for health reasons] with MUSCLE. Maybe that's how I can deal with all of this. I'd still be BIG but not FAT. I'd still have the 'armour' that goes along with having a BIG body - but [maybe] I'd feel less insecure insofar as how I look. [clothed AND naked]

How I'm going to break through that 'wall' is another question. How I'm going to let go of what I have always accepted as the 'truth' isn't going to be easy.

Hmmm.....

Oh well. Just thought I'd share that with you.

Can any of you relate?

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
FranklinF
Veteran

Re: It's 'funny' Being Fat

Post by FranklinF »

i can totally relate... poeple say i look like i have lost weight but i only feel like ive gained... and i also dont see how i would have lost weight, i dont eat often but when i do it is ussually junk foods.. but i do have really low self esteem i need to like plug it in and power up... i know i am not bad looking and i know i am not a cow like i ussually feel but i guess my feeling overcome my brain and i get down... -MARY
[center]Every once in a while, you stop in moments.

The ones that are life changing.

They edit your thinking.

They make your heart grow.

[/center]
Lena
Veteran

Post by Lena »

The unfamiliar is always scary. The more you become familiar with it, the more comfortable you should be. :)

Take care,

Lena.
Woman can not live on tea or chocolate alone.... but she can give it a damn good try.
candela
Needs Another Hobby

Post by candela »

i dunno i used to be likethat kinda - i let my wieght limit what i could do - i couldnt dress nice because it wouldnt make sense for a fat person to dress nice since theyd be ungly anyway - i used to avoid time with people (especially like one on one time) because i felt intimidated but at the same time i noticed that everyone was actually rather afraid of me. I to have always been big and i seem to give off the leave me alone or youll die impression, but ive spent a good deal of time trying to get out of that, i lost a lil weight actually my wieght yo yos alot now -

but i take time now to do things that i woudnt do before, i no lonlger think that i cant do things because im fat - in fact one of the biggest booster of my self esteem was a backpacking trip i went on. i went it was 12 of us and there was only one person bigger than me there and i was definetly the biggest female there.

I learned really fast that i can do anything i want to, my weight didnt lmit me at all, it quickly was noticed by others also that i definetly pull my wieght and more while paddling and backpacking. the one kid who was bigger than me - we did nothing and it wasnt that he physically couldnt - it was that he didnt THINK he could. remember its all in how you think about yourself. i have gained confidense by realizing that usually people are soo worried that other people are judging them that they dont really take time to judge you.

just remember people like people who like themselves - i know its the hardest thing in the world but everyone looks better when they are happy and smiling so if youd rather stay big, than stay big, just remember to stay healthy. Good luck with your list and everything else!
</>Luck and Love to all</>

PM me if ya need anything

"It doesn't matter what other people say, or think when you see nothing in the mirror."
cuteandplayful
Loyal

Post by cuteandplayful »

I cant relate so much, but I read your post and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do! :D
It seems to be that on Oct. 14, 2006, I'll be bring my own lil blessing into this world. I'm so happy, I will do everything to make sure my baby has everything good! It makes my heart ache, I cant wait! I know it wont always be perfect, but we'll make the best out of every moment. Its worth it.

I'm deeply in love with someone who makes the world make sense.

You know when you love someone, you cant explain why, it all just makes sense in a crazy way. Its addicting but it makes you open your eyes and live for who and what you are. There is just something about the way they make you feel, it just opens your heart and makes you love. You cant control it, the emotions you feel. For me, it makes me a happier, brighter person. I'm grateful for this.
CanadaCraig
Veteran

Post by CanadaCraig »

Hi Everyone!! :)

I hope you're OK.

I appreciate all of the replies AND all of the support.

GREAT BIG HUG

Craig!! :)
"It takes FAR MORE COURAGE to be KIND than it does to be CRUEL!!"

Be sure to LIKE my Love The Bully Facebook Page!

Please visit 'Cambilar'! It's where you'll find my eBooks!

I am a 54 year old guy from Canada!! :)
Horizon
Loyal

Post by Horizon »

You sound like a pretty good guy. I was just curious though. What exactly were you insecure about when you lost a lot your weight?

I can understand where you're coming from on being scared. You've lived your life with sort of a permanent excuse in your pocket and suddenly being faced with life without that excuse will definitely leave you feeling exposed. The only thing that's got me a little confused is the list itself. One would think that the list is of things that you'd really want to do, things that you get excited about with just the thought of them. Do you not see the list as something that's motivating?

You said that you'd like to trade out fat for muscle. Keep in mind that strength training doesn't typically guarantee a healthy heart, which is the main goal of becoming truly healthier. In order to ensure a healthier heart you'll probably have to do some cardio work and that'll shrink you down bit. So be prepared to lose a good deal of your bulk, even though you don't want, in your pursuit of being healthier.
The sacred contours of your body ravished countless times... if only by the imagination.
sarahbeara
Loyal

Post by sarahbeara »

i know what you mean.

ive always been on the pudgier side...ive never been what people consider to be skinny, and my whole life all i wanted was friends. real friends. friends who call you, not the kind who wait till you call them, friends who remember your birthday and who ask YOU to hang out with THEM, instead of it always bein the other way around. friends who invite you to THEIR birthday party because they want you there. ive never had friends like that. i had a pretty bad family life when i was little...i mean, we werent excessively poor or anything, but i remember every night in elementary school trying to sleep while my parents screamed at each other all night long. and i really do mean EVERY night. the single night they didnt scream was christman eve. only at christmas was i allowed to be happy.

but throughout my whole life ive hid behind my flab too. ive always thought, life would be perfect if i was skinny. guys would look at me, i wouldnt feel so akward talking to them. when i went shopping with my friends for clothes i wouldnt have to be embarrassed. maybe id be happy enough not to cut. id be so popular i wouldnt know what to do with all my friends.

this hasnt happened. actually, because of how depressed i was about my weight i gaiend 15 more pounds last year. and just this summer i started to get it off again. at the moment ive lost about 12 lbs i think...around that. btu im afraid that no matter what i do it will never be enough. ill always find some flaw with myself and then someday, ill be in a nursing home with no husband, no kids, no friends, and ill realize that i lost my whole life because i was afraid to get out in the world and take risks till i was skinny. im 5'9" and ive got huge hands and huge feet and huge wrists and a huge rib cage and huge hips. im never going to be 'skinny'. NEVER. i hide behind my weight too craig. *sigh*

well, thats my experience. :)

love and luck~sarah
"It's not enough.

I need more.

Nothing seems to satisfy.

I don't want it.

I just need it.

To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

~TOOL

Doodle takes Dad's scissors to her skin

And when she does relief comes setting in

While she hides the scars she's making underneath her pretty clothes

She sings:

Hey baby can you bleed like me?

C'mon baby can you bleed like me

~garbage

stay gold ponyboy stay gold~
Barbies are Evil
Veteran

Post by Barbies are Evil »

it seems that non skinny people are ostracized from society....and thats not right. Society shouldn't teach us that we are not right if we are not 105 pounds and/or a size two. of course i'm a size 16 and I hate being "fat" and I hate feeling that way. I would love to see a comeback of the "fat" people........that would be perfect. cause we are human too.
TJ[10:13 PM]: no not really..... it's all so.... like wow..... screw steps, you took a fuckin jet pack and strapped it on yourself and rocketed your way forward (thats my big bro)

And I'm going to extremes

Tomorrow I will change

And today won't mean a thing

I'm a bitch, I'm a tease

I'm a goddess on my knees

When you hurt, when you suffer

I'm your angel undercover

I've been numb, I'm revived

Can't say I'm not alive

You know I wouldn't want it any other way

Meredith Brooks-Bitch
sarahbeara
Loyal

Post by sarahbeara »

i totally agree. i mean, im somewhere between a 14 and a 16, and i know that im never going to be a size 4 because ive got huge hips, and im tall, but it would be nice to know that society would accept me no matter how big of a tummy i have. but its not going to happen any time soon, i dont think.

love and luck~sarah
"It's not enough.

I need more.

Nothing seems to satisfy.

I don't want it.

I just need it.

To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

~TOOL

Doodle takes Dad's scissors to her skin

And when she does relief comes setting in

While she hides the scars she's making underneath her pretty clothes

She sings: